Academic Accelerator Admission
Academic Accelerator Program (AAP)
The Academic Accelerator Program is a two-semester program designed specifically for students who are ready to succeed in immersive English-speaking classrooms, but who also want the benefit of English-language and student support that will help them thrive. The program curriculum offers a balance of university-wide and AAP-exclusive courses, with English-language course supplements that equip students with the practical, subject-specific vocabulary and skills that they need to excel in their course work.
Students may enter the program in the Spring, Summer or Fall. Upon completion of the program, students progress into year two of their undergraduate education with a full year’s worth of academic credits.
As a student in the Academic Accelerator Program, you'll:
- Receive just the right amount of support when you need it, the Academic Accelerator Program features a curriculum designed to accommodate your academic and English-language needs.
- Fully credit-bearing, so you can earn a full freshman year’s worth of credits while taking courses tailored to your needs as an international student, helping you achieve your academic and career goals.
- English-language instruction designed around your social and academic needs; for example, you will be prepared specifically for the classes that you will take, such as Algebra and U.S. History.
- Integrated with open and closed courses, so you’ll be in some classes with U.S. students and others with your designated Undergraduate Accelerator cohort.
- Major advising: One of the great advantages to studying in the United States is the ability to change majors as you discover your strengths and passions. There are many ways to achieve career goals, and we will help you find the best path to achieve professional success. During your first-year program, through workshops, advising and assessments, we will help you decide what the right major is for you!
|First-Year Program Length||Program
|2 semesters||Planned – specific to student’s intend major||30+||30 credits and 2.25 GPA (min)||Year 2 of degree|
|GPA Requirement||Minimum TOEFL®||Minimum IELTS™||Minimum Pearson Versant™|
|Only one of the scores below required|
|2.5||68 – no subscore below 14||5.5 – no subscore below 5.0||50 – no subscore below 42|
Don’t meet these requirements? The Extended Accelerator Program might be a better fit for you.
Applications with scores below the published minimums are not automatically denied and will still receive consideration from the college.
*Note that colleges may set higher minimums for consideration of admission to certain programs. Please refer to the college’s requirements for additional information.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|International Student in the University
English for Academic Purposes 2: Critical Analysis, Composition and Presentation
Carolina Core: Lab science course (including course supplement)
Carolina Core: Math course (including course supplement)
Carolina Core: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding (choose from three courses, including course supplement)
|International Student in the University
English for Academic Purposes 3: Advanced Academic Writing and Communication
Carolina Core: History course
Carolina Core: Math course
Carolina Core: Art course Academic track course
Total credits: 30+
Students only take 12-13 credit-hours during the summer semester. The courses are selected based on the importance for their major and the availability of instructors. This is a sample curriculum and may be subject to change. Math course level determined through a placement test taken prearrival.
|Summer 2018||Fall 2018|
|Payment Deadline||May 9, 2018||August 3, 2018|
|Move-in Date||May 29, 2018||August 15, 2018|
|Program Start Date||May 30, 2018||August 16, 2018|
All dates may be subject to change.
|Entering Summer 2018||Entering Fall 2018|
|Tuition and Fees||$34,880||$34,880|
|Housing||$7,955 – $9,693||$7,372 – $10,483|
|Dining||N/A||$1,788 – $1,980|
|Total||$44,835 – $46,573||$46,040 – $49,343|
* Tuition is set by the University Board of Trustees each year and is subject to change. Tuition quoted represents 2016–17 pricing.
*** The health insurance provided is offered for Undergraduate Accelerator students only and is not the same as that offered by the university. Students will have access to the university health center.